Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The beginning of the end of the beginning...

"so this is how the world ends- not with a bang, but with a whimper."
-Southland Tales (a horrible movie, but a decent quote)

It has been said that perhaps my motives can be questioned. That I had some grand design, that I played the game and that I did things for the sole purpose of moving ahead and up. This is not true. There have been benefits to being who I am- just as there have been problems (and perhaps will be problems still.)

It is time to evaluate and look back. The why and how have been dealt with. The question now? What do I leave with?

I leave with memories. Sober ones too (not something that can said of everywhere I have worked.)

I leave having learned a lot about teaching. Most of the lessons were learnt from colleagues: grammar from Judi and Bruna, thinking (and much more) from Damien, leadership from Arthur, Amanda, Barry, Mel and Kristy. I have had the privilege of working with some outstanding teachers and have had some brilliant role models that showed me what to do. And despite my gruff demeanor, I really did take the lessons on board.

I leave with some great relationships. Some will endure, some will not. Either way I have learned something about myself and about people. I genuinely believe this to be the purpose of teaching and if I've learnt nothing else it is this- everything you do teaches. It teaches people about power, respect and humanity. The mark you leave is crucial. Be a prick and you teach people that teachers are pricks. Treat them as intelligent and they will appreciate your faith. Project confidence and they will believe in you. This is what I will take with me next. Any student, and teacher, can learn. They just need to be shown how.

I learnt from the kids who, despite some reluctance, showed some faith in me and followed me even when I put the moon away and cast fog over the path. They shined their own lights and were better for it. And I learnt a hell of a lot about myself, and in a very Paul/Keller way, look back on my own youth in a different way, perhaps with a tinge of regret. (I was an arsehole to this one teacher when I was in year 8- sorry about that.) The class of 09 (my biggest fans?) and still to graduate class of 2011 will always be special. Actually every group I've had has kids I've connected with and have inspired me to do better. Their stories are all different and the time to hear them all is too short. Certainly there is more perplexing problems and challenges for this generation that mine. Their ability to persevere and develop into mature and responsible young adults is astounding and, really, is the the best part of the job.

I learnt most from those I worked closely with and shared the most with. Without these friends (even when we weren't that friendly) I would not have been able to do the things I have. The were my backbone when things sucked and I hope at times I was theirs. Some of our best work involved each other and, when you look at it from a distance, we contributed things and achieved things that made Rosehill a better place. (Here in lies the problem with some of us leaving but I chose not to have that debate.) And I hope this continues now that we call different schools home. Or at least, we make time to get really pissed. Or even maybe I just get pissed and get driven home. Whatever is fine. (I am Jack's closet alcoholism).

Most importantly, I met the love of my life there. And she knows by now she is on my list.

Ok, enough back slapping and self congratulations. Allow me a brief anecdote. When the (then) AP asked me at my first interview why I wanted to come to (then) Niddrie, I answered that it seemed like the perfect place to start my career. And it has been.

There is no ending, no sadness, certainly no bitterness. Whether I planned it or not, the time has come.

It is the perfect time to start anew and take what I've learned to a new setting and a new challenge.

So it ends. No party, no explosion or confetti cannons. Maybe some pyro if you have any to spare.

This is where it starts, with my favourite six word memoir-

That KISS song says it all.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:A new place

No comments:

Post a Comment