Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Change shapes my reality

Someone requested that I sum up the year. So here goes...

The move to the new school is been good for me in every sense. Whatever staleness or cynicism I had about teaching last year has been swept away. Reinvigorated like a butterfly from a cocoon. (OK fuck this. I am not doing the cliche thing again. I've heard way too many graduation speeches full of the bloody things. And I won't swear again.)

So they year began with an oath. I wouldn't swear. See the best thing about changing school, the invigorating thing, was that I could start again. With much of the old reputation left behind I could forge a new way of doing things. Not that I would want to be anything but myself, and yet, I felt liberated by the chance to forge new relationships with people and choose how I would maintain the old ones. Evolution was the name of the game and I was hungry for the opportunity. So I didn't say a swear word in the office.

For about a week.

I lasted about two weeks in Year 12.

So The D'Aprano was unleashed in all his glory for all to see. Unashamed and brutally honest. Having been a chest beater in my time at RSC I was a little more humble this year. Perhaps the rejections of last year wised me up a little. And it helped. A sign of growth if you will. The staff accepted me too, though for a minute there, I thought it was a case of the Emperor wearing new clothes.

The staff here are, in a word, brilliant. They have, against all odds, been completely welcoming and up for anything I've presented. They have been unafraid to challenge me too. They are a diverse group, at very different stages of their life and careers. It makes for a great environment of opinions and talents. And talented they are! I'm lucky enough to have a number of leading teachers in my team, the timetabler, a god sent assistant coordinator and who knows how many future leaders. Specific people for ESL and English Language. People who ride bikes and people end up on Millionaire Hot Seat. I reckon I've met some of the best graduates since, well, us. It was been interesting and I've learned a lot from working with them. Amanda said this was the idea - work with people you can learn from. And I am. It helps that we have one kick arse trivia team and plenty of laughs in plenty of pubs. Celebrating our birthdays and successes is nice too. Their impact on me was such that it meant a lot that they came to watch Mel and I say our vowels.

The school itself is interesting and eye opening. The timetabling is a nightmare. Different rooms every period. It took me a week to get used to the shorter length. My first double finished twenty minutes early. My first single had barely got out of first gear when the bell went to end the day. There were plenty of these mis-steps. One Year 8, in an extra, called me a prick. TO MY FACE. So the kids are different too, or at least my reputation is. The year ended today with a Year 9 calling me a douchebag. That was a different too.

I don't want to talk about my Year 12s. I met some brilliant kids who worked really hard. I met some others. It was the biggest challenge I've had in five years. I'll be better prepared next year.

In many ways being in other school has improved some of my old relationships - both as a teaching peer and a friend.

And I guess that is the idea. The change has been a breath of fresh air (FUCK there I go!). I've had the privilege of working closely with some brilliant teachers and professional instructors. It has been a tremendous experience and one that I look forward to tackling again next year. There are a whole range of challenges we will face in 2012 and I really can't wait!

We are going to do some amazing things together.


My memoir "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME (and other stories about bulls on parade) will probably never come out. But if it does, this story will be in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment